Monday 19 July 2010

Day Eight

Tip No.1 for setting an alarm-clock on a phone - never set it so that it makes the same noise as your ringtone. What followed was a ten minute scene which could have being straight out of a comedy sketch, featuring a half asleep me attempting to talk to a none existent caller and waking up half the family in the process. Not a good start to the morning, but it'll make a funny story to tell later :)

Quite a lively day today, and much improved weather was much appreciated :D We began the day with a visit to Yorkshire Art Space (YAS), which I thought was awesome! YAS is a huge complex of artist and maker studios just a stones throw from Site Gallery. The idea of having your own studio that you can do anything with really appealed to me, but I'm not sure if the idea of making the 'sellable' type of art for profit really appeals to me. Still, something to consider.
As part of our tour an artist called Emilie Taylor showed around her exhibition of ceramic pots she has made. She also explained how exhibitions at YAS work (and how they differ from other galleries) and where inspiration for her pots and plates comes from. I really liked how she had drawn all the flats that can be seen all over Sheffield, but had also decorated them in the background with old fashioned flower prints like old wallpaper. We also visited a Silver Smith in one of the bigger studios, and were given a rundown on how things worked there by Rachel Dodd, the project manager.

One thing I've noticed at the art galleries is that they all seem to have ginormous doors! Doors that are sometimes twice the height of me, running the full height of the building! It’s as if they're expecting some really tall person to come waltzing round Sheffield demanding to see every gallery there is!

After a quick dinner, I went out with Lucy and a photography student called Emily who came in to assist us with taking photos for our individual Part D projects. I think I got some nice shots, but there's still more to do, and some need redoing :( More on this in the blog to follow). In fact more on everything in the Arts Award post to follow :)

After getting back not much else happened, so that's where I'll leave it for today :)
Adios Amigos :D

No comments:

Post a Comment